Short Messages

This page last updated on  15th August 2010

Home Page     Events     Pictures     Weather


15th August 2010


I'm Owen BEATTIE, I moved to France with my parents in.....1982 with my parents. My parents owned "Papillon", the lovely Holiday 23 number 21 that they shipped over to France. Before coming to France, Papillon was in "Port Owen". We had a great time on her and she was based in the South of Brittany in "La Roche Bernard". We sailed along the Brittany coast and I enjoyed evey minute on Papillon.

My father, Richard BEATTIE, decided to sell Papillon to upgrade. Unfortunatly, I did not have the money to keep Papillon, so he decided to sell her to some German friends. My father passed away in 1997 and I miss the sailing with him on Papillon. Since then I no longer have a boat, but my dream is to be able to buy myself a Holiday 23 and ship it over to France again. Since, I have lost contact with the German friends, but I am sure they are having a great time with Papillon.

So, if anyone know of the shipping price from South Africa to France, let me know, it will be a good occasion for me to come back to South Africa for a holiday.

I am joining a photo of a photo that you can publish on your internet site. Sorry for the bad quality, I will try and send a better one.

Kind regards.

Tél. :



24th - 26th September 2009


Henk Rossouw recently bought Sandpiper and decided to sail her from Club Mykonos, Langebaan to Gordon’s Bay, Harbour Island. He asked me to join him and I gladly accepted the invitation. Though I have done this trip many times these long trips are always soul food stuff which I do not wish to miss. 

We arrived at Club Mykonos on Thursday 24th and took the time to make sure that all is in order for our trip. The rigging and halyards have been replaced earlier in September so we only had to attend to minor things like the battery, navigation lights etc. I insisted that we had a proper look at the bottom bracket of the rudder box  to inspect it. In removing it we unfortunately dropped the top bracket in the big drink. Marius Crouse owner of “Endless Summer”, who happened to be on holiday in Mykonos immediately offered his boat’s bracket but Henk managed to find a member of the local NSRI with wet suit who offered to retrieve the bracket in the 5 meters of water in the marina. Diving without cylinders he managed to find the bracket with almost his last breath. 

We also took out the speed log unit to clean the impeller and in doing so discovered that it was sitting in it’s place without the split pin that prevents it from popping out. Thinking of it know it still gives me the shivers, when I think what could have happened on our way. After a good supper we went to sleep with the alarm clock set for 04h30. I really battled to sleep that night and had to inspect the bulk heads the next morning to make sure it was my partners snoring that kept me awake and not someone sawing into the bulk heads. 

The next morning there were fog and we decided to wait another hour for daylight before leaving. We casted off at ± 06h20 and Marius Crouse came to help us untying the mooring lines. There was still some fog left but halfway across the lagoon the fog lifted. The wind very light form the North and we decided to motor sail trying to keep an average speed of 5 knots to make sure we do not arrive at Hout Bay after sunset. At 18h50 we were tied to the jetty at Hout Bay yacht club. After a beer or two and a good meal at the yacht club we took a hot shower and decided to call it a day. There was a bit of a question mark over the next day’s weather but the forecast for Cape Point was for 45 kph North Wester and for False Bay 35 kph North Wester. The next morning we woke up with fisher men going out in their numbers in their ski boats which helped us to decide to go. We reckoned that they must have had  a look at the weather as well and thought it was not going to be too bad. 

We casted off at approximately 08h30 and outside the harbour we rolled out the genoa only he size of a working jib. Soon we were outside the bay and pointing towards or first way point in a Southerly direction.  I have entered a few way points on the GPS towards Cape Point, which makes it easier to navigate. Nearing Cape Point the wind were blowing at an average of 25 knots but sometimes or perhaps more often than sometimes at 30 – 35 knots. From Kommetjie to Cape Point the seas were rough as forecasted but surprisingly fairly flat at Cape Point. We managed to round Cape Point between Bellows Rock and the Point, by thus saving on time. On our way to Cape Point we reduced the genoa to between a storm and no 4 jib size and regularly saw 8 to 9 knots on the GPS. I was a bit surprised by the strength of the Northerly at Cape Point not 45kph but between 30 and 40 knots. A few times with the crests of the waves breaking into a spindrift which indicated the wind was blowing between 35 and 40 knots. We changed course from running with the wind to beating into it with only the genoa. We started the engine because we lost speed and soon we were fighting the wind and waves going forward at 4 – 5 knots in the direction of Gordon’s Bay. As we sailed away from Cape Point the wind weakened and the water became flatter. In the middle of the bay it started to rain washing off all the sea water off the boat and us. About 6 miles away from Gordon’s Bay the wind dropped completely and at a stage even came from the South. After going underneath two lift-up bridges we tied Sandpiper to her new berth in Harbour Island and with the rain still coming down in buckets we packed away her sails etc. 

Thanks again Henk, for inviting me I thoroughly enjoyed it, may you, Theresa and the children have many happy moments with Sandpiper!!


Sandpiper's last day           Jutten Island                         Happy Owner                       Table Mountain           Overnight at Hout Bay

at Mykonos                                                                                                                           in clouds                                                                                                                



Approaching Gordon's Bay and entering Harbour Island


12th September 2009


Five holiday 23’s took part in this race. Seaweed1, Umoya, Mini Me, Nina & Pee Dee Q. For John and Cathy on Seaweed 1 it was there first bay crossing and as John said with only 4 hours sailing experience it was a bit of a challenge for them.  

Mini Me and Seaweed1 decided to leave early and they motored across together. About 3 miles off Simon’s Town Mini Me experienced radar failure but could managed to steer the boat with only the engine to FBYC. ( Not many boats out there that you can do that with) On arriving in Simon’s Town they discovered that some of bolts and nuts became undone on the bottom bracket. They were able to replace the bolts and nuts in no time and could attend to more serious things like having a cold one etc. 

Umoya, Nina and Pee Dee Q decided to take part in the race which started at 10h20. The wind was very light from the West at the start which strengthen later on. We could not sail in a straight line towards Simon’s Town and had to tack our way there. After tacking close to East Shoul, West of Seal Island, we radioed Mini Me for information on the conditions at Simon’s Town. They confirmed what we anticipated, the wind was going to stay on our nose. The cut off time for the race was 17h00, after a short discussion with the crew and few calculations (in fact very few) we concluded that we are not going to make the cut-off time. So, down came the genoa, out comes “FRED”, the engine lowered and started and we motor sailed towards our destination. While listening to the rugby on the radio we made certain not to dehydrate.

That evening we had a ball at False Bay Yacht Club doing the things we South Africans normally do. “Braai vleis, sunshine, sunny skies and Chevrolet” (or something like that).

Next morning we had the perfect weather conditions to sail back to Gordon’s Bay. The forecast was for a 20 kph Northerly but it turned out to be rather 20knts, all the more pleasant. John and Cathy, on Seaweed looked a bit nervous when they looked me in the eye and said “you guys must not sail away from us today”

Pee Dee Q and Nina left the marina after the other two Holiday 23’s, Umoya stayed behind to take part in the FBYC Spring regatta. Pee Dee Q baby sitted Seaweed1 al the way to Gordon’s Bay and despite their lack of experience still managed to sail the 20 odd miles in 4 and a half hours. Mini Me and Nina did it in 4 hours well done John and Cathy!


Sunday morning                Sailing away from              John and Cathy sailing back to Gordon's Bay

preparing to leave              Simon's Town 



8th September 2009



Thanks to Keith for sharing his pictures with us!!                                            Google Earth Image of

                                                                                                                                                            the Ebenezer dam


Sunset Coffeehuis Bay

Ebenezer Dam

(Picture by Rob Morris)


Ebenezer Dam, mountain Yacht Club


Sailing on the dam is great because of the wonderful setting up in the mountain. The dam is a deep dam with relatively steep sides.

There are no shallow points in the dam unless you go very near to the bank. There are some nice little bays where we some times anchor

and spend the night usually with another keel boat or two. The water is also crystal clean with no bilharzia, crocs or hippo.


It is a long  dam but not too wide but the whole dam may be sailed. There is also fishing which I enjoy such as trout, large and small mouth bass,

kurper and carp though not always easy to catch.


Thanks for a wonderful website.


Regards Keith Elphinstone


21st August 2009


"Bom Tempo" in a bay       Going back to Club

of Xenifa Island close         Naval in Maputo 

    to Maputo

Good morning! 

I have a Holiday 23 in Maputo, Mozambique: „Bom Tempo”. It is in Clube Naval in Maputo on a trailer. You can add my name to the list of owners.

I have a question and would like to ask other owners if someone could help me: I have a problem with the keel. The wedge is pretty much used and it is not possible to tight the keel anymore. So I took the keel out and have to replace the wedge. But here in Maputo it is very difficult to find the material. Where could I get the wedge or who could make one for me? 

Because of the keel banging I have the keel hull in the lower part already broken and water is easily coming into the boat through the area where the wheel to tight the keel is. 

Thank you very much. 

Regards from Maputo 

Eckehard Fricke


If you can help, send your email to



23 July 2009


Hello Coenie,


I watched, rather smugly, as Frank wrestled his boat home after breaking the lower rudder fitting and losing the use of his rudder, during the Port Owen regatta over Easter.


I should have been a little less smug....


As we were leaving the harbour entrance for the last day's racing of the MSC Regatta, Oran Mor suffered the same damage to the lower rudder fitting.


(I need to record here my thanks to the skipper of the Stadt 34 Jennabee, who held us on station until a rescue boat arrived, and the Point Yacht Club rescue team, who tied us along side the rescue boat and got us safely back to the yacht basin.)


After Frank's incident, I checked the rudder fittings by way of a visual inspection, and saw nothing untoward. In fact, it seems that the metal fatigue works its way from inside to out. A close look at the fracture revealed a discolouration on the inside of the crack which indicates to me that the crack had been present on the inside of the fitting for some time.


Anyway, I am going to have a new set of rudder fittings made up from slightly thicker material. with bigger pins to take up the wear on the holes in the pintles.


I would like to suggest that your subscribers check their rudder fittings (especially the lower one) for signs of cracking (especially at the bends in the material).


There is nothing that makes your pulse race quite like losing steering in a busy harbour entrance......... 






17th July 2009

Hi Coenie, 

Thanks for the reply and info, well done with the web site. 

I specifically purchased a Holiday 23, largely as a result of the info contained in the website. The boats applications and strengths are exactly what I was looking for.

and there is a lot of value for money to be had. 

I did find the boat from the advert on your web site. 

I have been sailing Keel boats for 3 years now (previously had the odd hoby, did not sail often), My previous boat was a Vivacity 21 (single fin), and my wife and I have both chartered in Croatia, Seychells, and the French Riviera , from 32 ft to 42 ft monohulls and a 38ft lagoon catamaran. Our intention is to eventually do a circumnavigation (cruiser style) however both time and funding are not currently in place.

Living in PMB, there is not a lot of cruising Weekend destinations out of Durban, so we decided to buy a trailerable boat and seek out sailing destinations through out SA both inland and coastal. Hence the Holiday 23.

With reference to Voriwind II, the picture did not do justice to the actual state of neglect. She had apparently been on the water for five years without a lift out and fresh antifoul, the owner had apparently not set foot on her for 3 years. Sail covers were rotted through and birds were nesting in the main sail, wash boards were giving way hence water, birds and general dirt had made its way in. the deck was very filthy. Dickie Manten assisted with the Lift out, clean and transport to PMB. His examination revealed a sound keel mechanism and keel box, no osmosis on hull (a little on the rudder). Since then she is on

Chain mooring in Midmar, we have been out and cleaned up. She is in surprisingly good condition and has obviously only been used lightly as there is very little wear. I have had to purchase a new Main, I will

have to recondition the hull below water line and replace all running rigging. The wiring, gas and plumbing all looks suspect but can only be assessed once I have her on a Trailer. (trailer first fitting this weekend, should be finalised by the following weekend). I will keep you posted with developments and some photo’s. 

With reference to the drawings, I am looking for a plan of the original rigging layout also layouts for spinnakers etc. I think many things are missing, I know the jib cars are not on their tracks.

also I fear to trust the keel mechanism without a proper examination and recondition. I need a diagram layout of this so that I can effect this. I was also looking for hull drawings to establish the best load points for the trailer. (I wonder if the naval architect does not have set of drawings in his archive, that could be made available to the association). 

I suspect that I may have to replace the Locker cover (can probably repair) and I was wondering about a new forward hatch to increase the light in the forward cabin. 


Sean Lumley


21 June 2009


I would just like to says thanks for helping me to locate a trailer for my Holiday 23. I bought one from Morné  Basson in Paarl. I drove down on the long weekend and towed it back to Hartbeespoort dam. Sail number 40 will now be stored on the dry during the week.




14 January 2009

Hi Coenie,

Yacht's name is "Tazz", #138.

As a beginner sailor the articles on your web site are very informative and interesting.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Kind regards,

Tony Muller


15th December 2008



Celine in Blue Bay




Hi Coenie
There is a long story of how my boat got to Mauritius and will send details later.  But at the beginning of the year it was almost sailed to the Seychelles but due to cyclones and work it was all cancelled.
My boat is well kitted out for sea travel with wind turbine and everything for long distance sailing and stays moored in the lagoon of Blue Bay.  There are only two holiday23 in Mauritius both in Blue bay.
Have enclosed one picture I took of the boat in Blue Bay and will send more later.
Kind regards


24th November 2008


Some photos of our first sail in Jan 2008 - Still had some issues with the furler and mast - but we sailed and had fun . 10 Months later still a happy H23 owner - starting to get some big boat fever.

Carel Jacobs


1st November 2008

Hi Coenie,


I searched all over the web site for the “Holiday 23s in Maputo” story but couldn’t find it anywhere. Where is it?


There is talk of some Reef sailors taking their keelboats down to Maputo next year to participate in the build-up to the 2009 Vasco da Gama race.


Read more here…





Spring Regatta, Rob le Roux

29th October 2008

The regatta was wonderful. Only problem that the wind was a little hectic at times and the heavier boats had an advantage. The little H23 goes a little sideways in the chop and wind and does not point as high. I was normally over the line in second place, but the Sadlers being about 1 ton heavier got me on handicap. In the light stuff no-one can touch us.

The last day, the wind was blowing up to about 30 knots at times with a very confused sea. It was a bit of a battle competing, but we finished.

I am really enjoying the boar immensely. We have taken her out in excess of 50 knots with no real hassles. She really is tough.



29th October 2008

Hi Coenie,
I still have Aquafox - I'll sell my wife and kids before I sell the boat.
Ray van Rensburg





Send your short messages to:


Top of Page!