FAQ: TOWING A HOLIDAY 23, COSTS, ETC.
This page last updated 7th January 2010
Home Page Pictures Weather Owners
17th January 2010
Thanks to Derek Robinson for these pictures and information.
The axle and braking system were a complete package from Burquip in Pinetown. The brakes are not hydraulic it mechanical and works with rods and levers and have double brake pads like a car and he is very satisfied with the braking capability.
1) If you are going into Mozambique carry a spare set of inner and outer bearings for all wheels.
2) The only time we have lost a bearing is on the way home.
3) Never launch your boat immediately on arrival, always allow the bearings time to cool off before putting the trailer into the water.
4) I was advised by the ski boat fraternity to use as bigger tyre as possible. I use 215/75R15 tyres and if going to launch off a beach I try and get 245/75R15 tyres.
5) Make sure that you have the correct tools for the job, it makes life so much easier at 18H00 in the middle of the bush. I don't rely on a scissors jack. The height that the trailer must be lifted, in order for the fitting of an inflated tyre, is beyond the range of most jacks and a small hydraulic jack is far safer.
I hope you can make out the supplier of the axles. If not, please let me know. The specs are per axle and I have 2 axles
7th January 2010
I have attached an excel spreadsheet with fuel consumption stats for the trip.
It is amazing how little extra it cost to tow Merlot around.
The trip PMB Ė Cape Town is about 2.5 hrs longer and only R 400.00 extra each way.
If you think what accommodation costs, the savings are big, never mind the pleasure of sailing different destinations.
Makes one wonder why we donít see more H23ís on the road.
TOWING VEHICLE JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE AUTOMATIC (3 LITER TURBO DIESEL)
|20/11/2009||Shell Montrose||85853||200||32.74||R 248.80||6.11||16.37||Climb up from PMB over Van Reenens Pass.|
|Bloem 1 Stop||86202||349||48.33||R 372.60||7.22||13.85||Van Reenens to Bloem, slight tail wind.|
|21/11/2009||Shell 3 Sisters||86665||463||71.25||R 545.05||6.50||15.39||Bloem to 3 sisters incl stop at Hannover.|
|Shell Paarl||87136||471||75.5||R 555.70||6.24||16.03||3 Sisters to Paarl, Headwind from Lainsburg to Paarl|
|27/11/2009||MKB Laaiplek||87735||599||75.26||R 539.65||7.96||12.56||Paarl to Port Owen + driving around west coast.|
|3/12/2009||BP Wine Route||88246||511||74.9||R 570.00||6.82||14.66||Port Owen to GBYC + Driving Around.|
|3/12/2009||Shell 3 Sisters||88726||480||60.26||R 476.65||7.97||12.55||Return trip no trailer, travel faster.|
|3/12/2009||Bloem 1 Stop||89187||461||47.35||R 376.90||9.74||10.27||Return trip no trailer, travel faster.|
|5/12/2009||Cascades PMB||89756||569||74.14||R 570.89||7.67||13.03||Return trip no trailer, travel faster.|
|Towing Consumption||1483||227.82||R 1,722.15||6.51||15.36||Speed 90km/h to 110km/h with over take up to 140 kmh|
|Ordinary Consumption||1510||181.75||R 1,424.44||8.31||12.04||Speed 120km/h +|
|Conclusion||Extra cost to tow Holiday 23 1500kms||R 397.08|
|ie +/- 3 litres per 100kms extra.|